"I Am Not Scared" Project
Project „School rainbow”, which has been implemented with the financial support by the operational program “Human resources development”, co-financed by the European Union through the European social fund.
Tolerance, aggression, violence, children, school
Children, students, teachers
Non profit association “Agency for regional economic development” – city of Sliven
Primary school „St. P. Hilendarski”, the village of Sotirya
Primary school "Hristo Botev", the village of Samuilovo
Primary school „Na
Teachers, Young People, School Directors.
The project was organized in modular activities, the most interesting and relevant for us was the activity in module “tolerance”, which included presentation before the students from the participating schools (around 700 students from the schools partners under the project) on the following topics:
- „Who am I?” – of great interest here is the statement of the psychologist participating in the project, which stated that prior to getting to know ourselves, we must understand the surrounding world and all people around us. I.e. the environment, the atmosphere and the immediate surroundings are extremely important for the formation of the child personality.
- „Stereotypes and sexual harassment at school” – in this part the activity presents the types of sexual harassment, which appear most frequently in school, the strategies for reaction in case of sexual harassment.
- „The roots of child aggression” – the children’s attention is focused on the fact that aggression is not genetic, but is acquired and is a typical form of social behavior. A person becomes aggressive when he/she communicates with others. Many children do not show signs of aggression when they are alone, but change drastically in the environment of their family, their relatives, the group, the class or among their friends. The factors that trigger aggression are also presented here.
- „Rules in school” – directs the attention of the children towards how they should behave in class, with the elderly and with their peers.
- „Step by step” puts the focus on the importance of family for the formation of the character, the nature of the child.
- „Paint yourself as...” – the graphic expression is one way of nonverbal communication, a wordless connection and communication between children. Their experiences become accessible to others through this way of expression. They try to present and draw their environment. The symbols present themselves as a successful implementation of all this.
- „’Tolerance’ questionnaire” – an excellent guide on the understanding and attitude of the children towards aggressive behavior and harassment. A perfect tool for evaluation.
- „Me and religions” – the children become acquainted with three of the strongest religions for the purpose of improved understanding, positive informed attitude and openness. One of the tasks for the children is to paint their own understanding of God.
- „Protection of the children against violence” – the organizations and institutions, to which cases of violence should be reported, as well as the most adequate reactions in such situations.
- „The tolerant person” – the characteristics of a tolerant and intolerant personality are presented, as well as those of the tolerant family.
- “The role of the school for prevention of violence towards children” – a diagnostic support tool (a handbook with materials collected and applied during the implementation of module “Tolerance”).
The project started in the month of November 2009 through a number of meetings with the participants. In order to get involved in the project the students went through a diagnostic interview in a written form, and the teachers were shown a presentation on the topic.
The results from the researches under the project, demonstrated that most problematic are children, who are brought up in large families. They are followed by such, who are being brought up by grandmothers/grandfathers. The lower parental control in families with three or more children is one of the main factors for demonstration of problematic behavior of the youths. Through their participation in module “Tolerance” the students acquire new social skills.
Other current results may be found on the project web-site, which is being updated regularly: http://ucilishtnadaga.virtualbiz.eu/kontakti.html
Definition of bullying or cyberbullying, Help-line/counseling, Disciplinary methods, Teacher training, Classroom rules, Peer support.
An excellent practice of direct work with the children and achieving results through their involvement in extra-curricular activities. The involvement of a professional psychologist with an interesting and informed understanding and view on the problems of child aggression is of great importance for what has been achieved under the project so far and what is about to be achieved in the long term. pages
No further comments. For additional information on the practice please visit the project web-site.
No other evaluations are available at the moments.
Non profit association “Agency for regional economic development”, city of Sliven
Project coordinating organization
I Am Not Scared Project
Copyright 2017 - This project has been funded with support from the European Commission