"I Am Not Scared" Project
Teenagers bullying prevalence study, 2010
Public Health Office of Utena District
Schoolchildren, teenagers, bullying, parents, school, teachers.
Parents, Policy Makers, Teachers, Researchers, Young People, School Directors.
1 - 20 pages
Public Health Office of Utena District in 2010 October-November carried out the research on the prevalence of bullying commited by 11-16 year-olds . Utena district schools have been given 500 questionnaires and 492 students appropriate for the target group participated in the study. 171 girls and 147 boys living in the city and 87 girls and 87 boys living in the city, in rural areas were interviewed.
According to the respondents, it can be stated that 13 per cent. urban and 14 per cent. out of town, rural students bully others, and 8 percent and 10 percent respectively do not know whether they are being bullied. The most common types of bullying: name calling, teasing, mockery, slander, defamation, omission, exclusion from collaborative working, shoving.
Students often try to protect the student which is being bullied. Most of students think that teachers do not bully students. Most of students think that if a teacher sees that there is harassment/bullying of any student, he/she trys stops the bullying.
This document provides systematic information about the prevalence of bullying in Utena. It was found that:
• Students who live in the city feel safer in school or classroom than students who live in rural areas;
• 13 percent urban and 21 percent outside town, rural areas students experience bullying at school. 10 percent of respondents do not know whether they are being bullied by other students;
• all students both living in town and in rural areas suffer from the direct physical and from indirect verbal bullying;
• The most common location of bullying the school corridors, class and the school yard area;
• 75 percent urban and 77 percent rural students' presume that bullying is abnomal behaviour;
• The majority of respondents indicated that teachers do not bully students and if they notice any signs of harassment of any student, he/she stops bullying.
These data are important for examining the phenomenon of bullying in the national level, analyzing the causes of bullying origin.
Kaunas University of Technology
I Am Not Scared Project
Copyright 2017 - This project has been funded with support from the European Commission