"I Am Not Scared" Project
Why do children bully?
Lithuanian Republic Ministry of Education and science, free magazine „Penktokas“
Bullying, school, children, consequences.
Newspaper / Magazine article
1 - 20 pages
This article reveals bullying as one of the most frequent excuse for not going to school. Parents are encouraged to consider bullying seriously and report the problem as soon as it occurs, not to wait until it's already too late, or too painful to change something. The author argues that the child must not be the alone in search for a solution to the situation. Parents are encouraged to teach children as a personal example of non aggressive behaviour, and sympathize for other people. Parents are informed why children often do not tell about their experiences of bullying and a "whistle blowing culture” effects are named. Parents are urged to encourage children to confide, for a deeper understanding the author reflects children behaviour in adult in order to highlight the consequences of silence of a child. Also, parents are made aware of the opportunity to contribute to a safe school building.
Bullying as a problem depends on how much each school community groups are involved in the making of the decision. The most difficult thing to do for the school is to involve parents in any problem solving. That is way this article about the parental contribution and the importance in bullying prevention is chosen. Article marks the importance of :
• Parents to respond to even the smallest suspicion that their child is being bullied.
• Parents’ example importance and perspective many years later.
• Often, parents do not see why their children does not tell them about bullying. Here are clearly stated causes that are relatively simple, easily understood and corrected.
• overcoming the myth of "not nice to complain about". These things seem pretty obvious, but their implementation requires great parents, school staff and the public effort and time.
• Parents personal contribution to each school bullying prevention.
It is important to share the same attitude with school staff and parents' to bullying. Therefore it is usually a field of school, but not parents. Parents are often monitoring and evaluating from a distance.
Šiauliai „Rasos“ secondary school
I Am Not Scared Project
Copyright 2017 - This project has been funded with support from the European Commission