"I Am Not Scared" Project
Europe vote for a safe and tolerant school
Karoki Eug., Karoni D., Kozakis St., Pappos Xr., Ralli F.
2o Vocational School of Drama
School Bullying, aggressive behaviour, violence
21 - 100 pages
The current research was conducted in the frame of the project “Europe vote for a safe and tolerant school”, from the second vocational school of Drama.
The research is based in the belief that all students, teachers and parents can play an important role in problem solving and prevention of aggressive behaviors in schools. Those behaviors can have serious consequences towards both the students who receive violence and the students who provoke it. The current research aims to investigate the way students, teachers and parents understand the reality in accordance with aggressive behaviors appearance in school. It also aims to give a boost in investigation and adaptation of alternative and creative ways of handling these behaviors. The most important aims of the research are:
• Recording of how students, teachers and parents understand the term “bullying”
• Recording and study of the violent, aggressive behavior forms and the reasons leading them to such behaviors
• Suggestions recording and study of prevention practices of aggressive behavior in schools.
• To be the basis for further dialogue and processing in order the younger ones to be informed and sensitized about the subject and understand the importance of having equal relations between each others.
The research concludes that students, teachers, as well as parents are aware about school bullying and consider that they should all help to prevent it. But the phenomenon has already started to appear in schools and thus the educational community must be more informed and moreover, common prevention and limitation actions must take place.
The current research was conducted by the 2nd Vocational School of Drama, as part of a research project the school is participating.
The research is based in the belief that all students, teachers and parents can play an important role in problem solving and prevention of aggressive behaviors in schools.
For the research conduction, action research was used. More specifically, two questionnaires were given, one to students and the other to teachers, school personnel and parents. 96 students participated totally, 35 teachers and school personnel and 27 parents.
The first questionnaire was addressed to students. It was formed in five parts:
1. perception- awareness of the term “bullying”
2. aggressive behavior incidents occurred at school
3. having demonstrated violent or aggressive behavior themselves
4. reasons for aggressive behavior demonstration
5. prevention and limitation ways of violent or aggressive behavior occurred by students
The second questionnaire is addressed to teachers, school personnel and parents. It targets to bullying term investigation, the necessity of bullying prevention and the expectancies from the specific project.
The questionnaire was given to students of the second Vocational School of Drama, which although is a rural area, students come from villages of Drama prefecture.
It was also given to teachers and school personnel, as well as parents.
It is very important that a holistic approach was attempted. Students’ opinions were studied along with teachers’ (including school personnel) and parents’ opinions.
From the research it is concluded that students and teachers, as well as parents are aware of school bullying and agree that they all have to help for its prevention.
I Am Not Scared Project
Copyright 2017 - This project has been funded with support from the European Commission