"I Am Not Scared" Project
Bulgaria and the European program for child protection on the Internet
Center for studying democracy
Center for studying democracy
Program, European Union, Internet, safety, protection
Policy Makers, Researchers.
1 - 20 pages
The reviewed material has as its main objective the presentation of the new program of the European Union for child protection during using the Internet. The main points of this program and the necessary actions of Bulgarian institutions are:
1. Protection of the children during using the new information and communication technologies (ICT) is turning into one of the most important EU priorities.
2. The EK must undertake more direct measures and recommendations towards the mobile operators and the educational administrations.
3. The new program for safer Internet should include financing of interdisciplinary researches.
4. Bulgarian institutions must undertake specific relevant measures, in order to create an acceptable legal, social and business environment, protecting the children during use of Internet and the other new ICT.
5. Public-private partnerships are a chief pledge for the successful realization of the program.
The material also takes into consideration the existing public-private partnerships in Bulgaria, working with the issues connected with protection of the children on the Internet.
Under consideration are also:
- Comments and proposals, which the Republic of Bulgaria could add in relation to the suggested program by the European Commission.
- Recommendations for legal and practical measures, which the Republic of Bulgaria should undertake for the purpose of continuous Internet safety and combating of the crimes and violations in the Internet.
The reviewed material is useful and interesting, because it considers the activities and intentions of the European Commission, as well as the Republic of Bulgaria itself in the direction of child protection in an environment, which they are spending more of their time in – the Internet environment. It is a fact that the youths of today are the most active users of the new ICT and creators of unthinkable of the developers of these tools forms for their application. During the last years most of their communication and socialization shifted towards the Internet-environment, which creates great advantages in comparison with the previous generations, but also creates serious dangers and risks for their safety, psychical and physical health. Due to which the adoption of the program for safer internet for the children for the period 2009-2013 is a timely and important initiative of the European Commission. The importance of this program will grow with the intensification of the ICT applicability in everyday life, education and business. According to an assessment of the Foundation “Applied research and communications” as of July 2008 more than 80% of the students use the Internet. The quick development of the new technologies and their fast acceptance by the children and students as a part of their real life creates new challenges before the families, the educational system and the society as a whole. Because of this, according to the authors the new EC program should be not so reactive and nation-based as its predecessors, but better coordinated within the entire European Union, pro-active and preventive, for the purpose of which practical activities should be integrated with more intensified research and prognosis, so that a more serious and long-term effect of its implementation is achieved and maintained.
Zinev Art Technologies
I Am Not Scared Project
Copyright 2017 - This project has been funded with support from the European Commission